Skip to main content

Happy New Year Everyone

This message comes to you from the City of Salisbury, where we are about to have dinner before our big night tonight. We are required back at the Cathedral some time around 11pm for the 1130pm Watchnight Service. But my readership has likely already seen in the New Year and are either sound asleep or nursing sore heads. To be honest, if I were able, my average NYE would be spent either having an early night or just seeing the New Year in and heading for bed at a minute past Midnight. But this year is very different, and very exciting, and it is wonderful to spend it with so many of my friends.
We have already had a rehearsal in the Cathedral, which was uncharacteristically warm. Even the Choir Vestry has underfloor heating. Tonight we sing “What Cheer” by William Walton and the Ralph Vaughan Williams setting of the Wassail Carol. And three hymns. Don’t know any of the words, but the tunes are vaguely familiar. And the harmonies are nearly what I know, but not quite.
We are staying in a lovely old hotel called The Red Lion, which is very close to the Cathedral. It was established in the 13th Century. I have never felt so disoriented looking for a room as when I was following Harriet to her room to see whether the dongle would get better coverage up on the second floor. It did. But to get to her room, which may be on the Second Floor, but this is hard to determine, given the number of steps that you go up and down to get there. And hallways. Note to any pyromaniacs. Please do not set fire to anything in this hotel. I cannot imagine how you might escape from the rooms here. It is worse than a rabbit warren. I’m sure that if this really was a rabbit warren then you would find the sad remains of fluffy bunnies who had lost their way.
I’m currently sitting in the lounge area, having set Harriet up with my internet connection, typing this draft and sipping on a G&T. I’ve also ordered a pot of coffee to assist with the staying await thing.
Tomorrow we spend New Year’s Day doing all sorts of things.
  • A drive by of Stonehenge and Old Sarum.
  • A trip to a Panto – Aladdin
  • Lay Clerk Evensong at Salisbury
  • Bunk out to Wells for two nights
Celebrate Ed Ananian-Cooper’s birthday – it is lovely having Ed back with us. He has flown in from Finland (via Belgium, I think) where he is studying to come and sing tenor for us. He has also been doing our warm-ups which are great. Different. Great. That one where we have to try to sing “b” until the cheeks fill with air then let it escape via the soft palate onto “m” has me going.
Later Note: have just come back upstairs after a fantastic NYE dinner at The Red Lion Hotel. Terrific meal indeed. Gravadlax, beef with Yorkshire Pud and Lemon Tart.
Stuart Langshaw has requested a musical menu, so here it is. Last night at Peterborough we sang Howells Collegium Regale and Mathias A Babe is Born. No hymns. A Ely we sang Jackson in G and Lully Lullay by Leighton, with the Office Hymn in plainchant. Psalms as set for the day and Hunt BCP responses. I will try to keep up a menu report so you can all hum along.
Well, best be off. Watchnight calls. The history is that dates to 16th Century in Czech Republic but has become popular with black American churches - they commemorate the NYE in 1862 when the slaves all went to church to await emancipation and freedom. (thanks Guy and Google for the info) Hope we do their memory proud.
Love to all. Will post some photos on my return.

Cxxx

Comments

  1. Thank you for your newsworthy blogs and the superb photos - I'm going to ask for a collated set for my Christmas machine. Thanks also for the details of music sung.
    I wasn't around in 1862, but I clearly remember Watchnight services in the NSW Baptist churches of the 1940-50s.
    Happy New Year to you and you-all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You would love the para in the Tiser this morning which says the Choir tour which started on Boxing Day and ends on January 16 is a four week tour ... Bless 'em. Missed you and our pathetic New Year's Eve celebrations. enjoy your day when you get to it. OD x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx