Skip to main content

Och Mon! Castles and Boats

A little like the restaurant industry in Australia, Monday is traditionally a quieter day for churches, after Sunday. Or so it seems to me. And in Scotland today we have spent less time in church and more time at play.

This morning we had another marvelous breakfast followed by a walk to Edinburgh Castle. It is quite a stroll. With a big hill to climb. A very big hill.  But we made it. And have the photo to prove it.

Edinburgh Castle

We had a lovely random character called Wayne who stopped to take this photo for us of our whole tour group of 58 (I think) at present, outside Edinburgh Castle. The Director of Fun, Coby Mellor then negotiated ticket prices for us. I ended up with Josie Koerner and six kids as one family ticket. We named ourselves after my Clan name, Clan Ross. I had the wee ones, Sophie and Alice Crompton, Charlie and Miranda Wells, Alex B and Ellie C. John Wells did threaten to leave rapidly and head for Paris... 

By the way, having just used an adverb I have remembered that I need to apologise for putting two in the same sentence last night. I was (am) tired. Reason, but not an excuse.

Lots of different activities in the Castle ensued. I loved the Crown Jewels, the Military Dog Cemetery, the Chapel of St Margaret of Scotland and Mary Queen of Scots in the Great Hall. When we walked in there we found Miss Brianna had been called up to do the dancing, and she was great. We then watched the 1pm Cannon fire before heading off to the next adventure for the day. But before that, more photos of the Castle.




My little Clan



Condemned to a Scottish Prison
Then a group of us headed off to the Royal Yacht Brittania. We waked down a LOT of stairs to get to the train station so that we could get cabs. Then had an altogether wonderful time on the Royal Yacht. Here are some more pictures.

Our traditional Choir Tour visit from Guy Lipman

Out of sequence, but these are the stairs we climbed down



The Queen's Bedroom

The Dining Room

Director of Fun

Fun in the Bar, check out the name of the bar, say it aloud...


The Sick Bay

The Engine Room

Mmmmm

The Honeymoon Suite - the only double bed on board - placed there for Diana and Charles
Then it was time for home, as we have called the Hilton, where there were a lot of Choir families in the bar for Wine Time.

A quick but excellent pub dinner at the Haymarket Hotel rounded off a very busy day. Thanks to all who shared it with me.

Dear Reader, I hope you enjoyed sharing it as well. 

It is 9pm. I anticipate being asleep by 9:30pm, as we have a call for 8:30am to load the coach and leave Scotland for Durham. The next post will be from York.

Thanks, too, to all of you who have liked the blog and the pictures on Facebook. It is such a privilege to share the experience with those we love at home. 

Cxxx

Comments

  1. A little different from your usual castle Chrissie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray my comment worked....had written two previous essay length comments which got lost in the ether....have a joyous continuing trip sis.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx