Skip to main content

Today is Sunday, this must be Oxford


Dear Reader

Sometimes on tours you need to check your guide book to know which city you are in. The headline is slightly misleading as it is quite apparent we are in an old University Town. However, I could have said, this is Oxford, it must be Sunday, as it is very easy to lose track of the days when you are not working and when you go to church every day. 

I will largely let the photos do the talking, as the city is so beautiful. On the advice of Michael Neale David Heah and I headed off to The Turf tavern, but it wasn’t open yet, so we went back to the Grand Cafe for Prosecco, coffee and a lemon curd tart. Perfect. David headed off to meet a relative, and I went exploring. I went on the hop-on hop-off bus. It was cold but the information and views were worth it. 

So while waiting to check in I have penned this little note. The photos are in random order. Totally random, as uploaded by the blog site. When I get home I might try to put them in better order and will caption them, but for now, this will have to do. 

Shortly David and I will head off back to The Turf. In advance of tonight’s Gala Dinner post evensong I will drop tonight’s musical menu here now. It is Matthias Jesus College canticles, Dove Three Kings, and Ives responses, with the psalm appointed. David’s postlude will be by Stanford. Will be different from the Preston Alleluyas last night, but then again, he had played so many different pieces on so many different instruments. I am in awe of his skill and the way he has maintained his sense of humour throughout. And he has worked harder than the rest of us because he has to go and rehearse first every time. 
































Until I find more time to update you further...

Cxx

Comments

  1. Beautiful photos. We had a holiday of 10 days in Oxford, and even that was hardly time to do and see all there was to do and see. As part of tat we attended a concert at New College by the trebles of that College's Choir - so in our minds' eyes we saw you there at Evensong. It's a wonderful city. A young reverend friend of ours had a week in Oxford and it rained non-stop for 7 days. You were blessed with the weather for your explorations. Thank you for all the blogs, and we are looking forward to welcoming the choir home again to a summery Adelaide - you won't need your winter woolies here. Travel well and safely. Stuart L

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx