Skip to main content

Catching up. There is life post Harry.

Dear Reader

We are currently en route to Exeter, and I am using the opportunity to tell you a few more details of the last couple of days.

After arriving back from Harry Potter I really needed the "good lie down" that I had for an hour. Then Brianna and I set off for the Abbey Shop. You can enter there without paying the entry fee, and she needed some Royal souvenirs.

We went around the corner to the Sanctuary House Hotel where we met with the wonderful James Dixon; we met some years ago when we were both at a Tallis Scholars Summer School in Sydney. He now sings and conducts in London and Oxford, but he is also an accomplished organist. A restorative G&T then steeled us for the wait outside Westminster Abbey to be allowed in for Epiphany Eucharist. The waiting line is an interesting thing. We were at the front, along with Sophie and Alice Crompton and Alison Campbell, and once admitted, we made our way in an orderly and dignified fashion down the side aisle, as directed. Not so a significant number of "gentlemen" whose long legs and speed saw them overtake us by the second pillar.

Nonetheless we got excellent seats in the front row, until Ben the Virger came along to speak with the little girls. I related the story of Sophie sitting with Maddie Ducker and me in the Headmaster's Pew and enquired about the possibility of doing so once again. To our delight he declared that this was now a tradition for Sophie, with the option to do so twice, so the girls and I decamped to this little pew which is at 90 degrees to the choir. From this angle the Headmaster is able to see the probationers when they are in. I did feel bad about abandoning James - sorry! But he got to sit with our altos, Alison and Margot, making quite an alto block; James has one of the nicest alto voices I know, and I am sure that the ladies enjoyed singing with him.

The service was sung by the Lay Clerks of the Choir and was quite lovely indeed. 

After returning to the Hotel I decided I would brave the London public transport system solo and headed off in the direction of Shoreditch to see Eloise and Aaron once again. This proved challenging as the British Rail man sold me the Oyster Card he recommended with two deposits and no credit, rather than one of each. Once remedied I got mildly lost between the Jubilee and Northern Lines before successfully finding my way to Old Street. It was worth the effort. Eloise and Aaron are living in this up and coming trendy area in a flat that makes a postage stamp look like acreage. Or so they tell me.  First stop was the Three Crowns where we had beer and I had a bit of dinner. Aaron went off to do some work while Eloise and I went to another pub, the name of which I have forgotten. Here she placed me in a large armchair by a fire with a beer. Very wise woman. After this she waited with me for the No 76 bus, which safely returned me to Waterloo in 19 minutes instead of the predicted 28. 

Perhaps it is time for the photos.





This was especially for Vicki BamberyT


So good to see James



The white orb on the left is the full moon
In the second pub
 Must publish this now, as we are about to arrive in Exeter. Much love from me to all of you.

Cxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx