Skip to main content

Happy New Year

Dear Reader

Firstly I should apologise for the delay in updating you on the events of the last two days. I had intended to do this last night but could not keep my eyes open after 10:15, which is when the photos had been downloaded. I deferred for fear of the post reading something like swoundwpayvweklntq8p q2oru34tnv qwetrouqp. 

New Year's Eve in York saw us up at a reasonable hour to be across at the Minster for the first of a series of morning rehearsals that we are doing in addition to pre-service rehearsals. This is the opportunity for us to fine-tune our more difficult pieces for later in the tour, and work on technique, tuning and timing. Wishing to avoid the risk of slipping on icy roads and foot paths on the way to the Minster with our robes and music, Jenny Wilson and I arranged for her to collect her hire car and take them over to the Cathedral. Well, this took longer than she expected and I was starting to get a bit panicky. Along came Guy Lipman who had the hotel call for a cab. This arrived about 8 minutes before rehearsal was due to commence. And it was a mini-van style that easily fit all of the luggage, and both passengers with ease. We phoned ahead and this meant that we had the requisite music at the Minster and ready for use only a few minutes late. Coincidence that the cab was a van? I think not. More like a Godincidence. This was a very useful rehearsal and pointed out to me the things that I need to revise. 

We were also given little green cards that identified us as being part of the Visiting Choir. This gives us and our supporters free entry into the Minster throughout the day, not just in the rehearsal and service times. It makes me feel special. It also identifies us to the staff as part of the Choir, and they are all very engaging and interested in what we are doing. As in other places, they do wonder why we have left the warmth of summer behind in favour of their winter. Personally, having heard that you are sweltering through catastrophic fire days, I think I am not sad to be here. We do very much hope that you have passed through this period unscathed.

We were free to wander around York for the middle of the day, which I did. I found an interesting pub for a beer and had lunch at Bettys, an institution in this part of the world. We returned for rehearsal and Evensong.

Hmm. That is a lot of words. Perhaps you need a picture. Or two.



We returned for our rehearsal at 3:30pm, and as you can see, we sang Wood in D Canticles and Chilcott's The Shepherd's Carol.  The responses were Sanders. This service was very well attended and very well received. There were at least three clergy, including the Dean and the Precentor (I think), who sang the Office. 


And if you look very carefully in the middle of the next picture you can see Alana at the organ console. 


We had a shared dinner at the Lady Anne Middleton Hotel, which was lovely. After another Matilda to thank the staff we walked back to our hotel where the youngsters went to bed and the Lay Clerks and parents mostly saw in the New Year. I called it a night at 1205am and was asleep very shortly after. 

We then had a free morning, which saw quite a few decide to sleep in. However, the Intrepid Cromptons, David Thomas, Brianna and I went across to the Minster to climb the tower. I thought to myself, if Wee Alice can do it, surely I can. Hmm. I probably should have rethought this. I am very grateful to David Thomas for staying behind me and gently encouraging me to the top. Here are some views. 





After making our way back down we wandered around the Minster for a bit longer and went down to the Undercroft, where they have made a feature of the concrete and steel rods that were necessary to ensure the safety of the tower. There is also a lot of information about the building and its people. There are a lot of hands on experiences. Here are two. 



After lunch at a Pizza Express four of us went on the Carousel. I have not done that for years. It was great fun. Thanks for the photo, Annabel.


The trebles, families and junior Lay Clerks went to the Pantomime to see Old Mother Goose. There was a mention of the Choir and they were even called upon to sing one of the rhymes. They had a great time. Meanwhile the Lay Clerks had a bit more free time before heading to the Minster for a rehearsal and Evensong. The service was Sumsion in G, the anthem Puer natus est nobis by Morales and the responses were Rose responses. This was Alana's first conducting role for the tour, and Alexander was at the organ. As it was a feast day (The Presentation of Christ in the Temple) we also had a hymn, How sweet the name of Jesus sounds. Andrew had written the two psalm chants we used.

As it was a high day, there was a bigger team of clergy and servers, and the high altar was censed during the singing of the Magnificat (or so I am told. I could smell the incence but was too busy watching Alana to see this). Once again, the Dean thanked us for coming, and a number of the clergy, including the Chancellor stayed to talk with us. His role is to be responsible for learning in the Cathedral. One of the things that I really like is the way that the staff and volunteers all stand in positions to watch the choir enter and leave. It feels very respectful. 

And I need to show you the Chapter House. It is lovely. We will likely be told more about it when we go on our floor tour this morning after rehearsal. But I well remember a group of us singing there on our 2006-07 tour. I think it might have been Ding Dong Merrily on High.




So now you are up to date. Today holds another rehearsal followed by the aforementioned floor tour of the Minster. Thereafter we will have some free time until Evensong rehearsal. Time to pack up again tonight. 

Wishing you all a very happy New Year for 2015. 

Cxx

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx