Skip to main content

En Route to Roma

London, London, London
Oh how I miss you already. We had so little time there, really, but we did so much. We were allowed a free day, and the range of activities I have heard about has been nothing short of exhausting.
I rose a little later than I had intended and went down to breakfast to find once again that I was in the majority. This was due, I expect, to the late night that we had sorting ourselves into our accommodation in London. I was again sharing my room with seven suitcases, Terri having relieved me of one of the robe cases, Mr Wood. I had become rather paranoid about counting cases and music crates after the mishap of a few days ago, although now that the music has been reincorporated into the suitcases there are fewer items in my inventory. The lovely room I had at the Premier Inn was plenty big enough for them and me, and for the visitors who came up last night for pre-drinks and night-caps, although all five of us had to sit on the huge bed, as my case was on the only chair.
Perhaps I should explain the Mr Wood comment above. This is not a reference to you, Dear Mr John Wood, erstwhile Sacristan and Living Treasure of St Peter’s Cathedral, and Second Official Follower of this blog. On this tour I decided that it would be more fun to name the cases as well as number them. Cases 1-7 just seemed far, far too boring. So in order, I think, they are Messrs Bruckner, Palestrina, Wood, Stanford, Tallis, Howells and Byrd. Their Case Captains are, also in order, me, Alana, Alison, Alice, Terri, Geoff and Tim with Robin as Tim’s Dep when he was ill. Poor Tim and his mother never made it from Windsor to London, as Tim was very badly affected by the flu. Poor things, they were stuck in the Traveldodge, while we were in the relative luxury of Premier Inn.
At this point I will say that the accommodation and transport have been superb. We joke about the Traveldodge in Windsor, but the bed was comfortable and the shower hot. There have been a few occasions in different places (such as this morning) where the water was not hot, but even that had its positive as I felt more awake at 5:45am after a bracing cool shower. This is down to Anna Legge (not the cold shower, the great accommodation). THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, ANNA!!! You are a dead set Legend and have been elevated in my eyes to the position of another Living Treasure of our Cathedral. There is not one thing we have done that I would rather not have done, and many things we have done that I would not have thought to do. Every bed has been comfortable. Every hotel room I have had has been clean.
So back to my day in London...
After breakfast I headed off with the Cromptons and Thomases to explore. We took the tube to Green Park in order  that we might visit the Queen at Buckingham Palace and watch the changing of the guard. Well, she wasn’t in and the guard only changes every other day in Winter. But we did get to witness a senior officer yelling at the poor little junior officers who were late, and the arrival of what appeared to be a “vehicle of interest”. In the end we think it might have been the baker or the pizza delivery company arriving to take orders for lunch as the driver of the van with the blacked out windows entered and left again fairly quickly with only a few pieces of paper to show for his visit.
After the Palace we headed off for rides on London Buses (only the top deck of a Red bus would do) to get to Regent St, where we went to Hambley’s, the six storey toy store. Best seen through the eyes of children, so having six year old Sophie and 4 year old Alice fit the bill nicely. Lots of opportunity for hands on experience with the toys and interaction with the staff. Thence to lunch at Pizzeria Soho. Yum. After lunch we headed off to St Paul’s via tube and appropriate bussing, although Heather decided not to come upstairs with Bella, Soph, Alice and me. We really only had time for a quick look at the outside and in the crypt before we had to be away and head via tube again to Westminster Abbey for Evensong at 5pm. We arrived as requested, at 4:30pm (just) and lined up with all the punters. But our group was called through and given the premium seats in the Quire, around the Choir. Maddie, Sophie and I were in the Head Master's Pew. This was at right angles to most everyone else except the Dean, who inhabits the Sovreign's stall unless Herself is there. Very special. We had the best view of the seven tiny Probationers who were marched in, in procession, before the start of the service and seated in a row next to the choir. It was a lovely service, with an Introit sung from outside the Quire, Mendelssohn's Herr Gott, du bist unsre Zuflucht, Tomkins Responses,  then the Canticles, which were Wood in E flat (after whom Case 3 is named). The Anthem was Poulenc's Videntes Stellam.
After Evensong we were directed into the nave while everyone else was herded out of the building. Dean John Hall came and spoke with us for a bit, welcoming us and describing the important relationships between the Abbey (also dedicated to St Peter) and Adelaide's St Peter's. He also mentioned the Bp Augustus Short connection and his own visit in 2007 when we billeted their trebles and he preached. He had to go to another engagement but left us in the capable hands of two vergers, Ben and Peter. I was in Ben's group. He was very knowledgeable and very, very funny. I will try to post more information about the tour of the Abbey and the photos tomorrow, but it is already 1:20am. In Rome that is. (This post started on the plane and I picked it up again at St Paul's tonight). 
Back to last night. Everyone went their separate ways for dinner; Nareen had asked if she and I could have dinner together as her friends all had their families arriving and hers was not here yet. So she and I made plans to go to the Southbank, and Geoff Jackson joined us. We ended up at a Gourmet Pizza Company place, which was very nice. Back at the hotel again and Nareen, Geoff, Xenia and Kate all came up to help me with a couple of music tasks and Geoff helped me finish the duty free. Thanks to all of them for their various helping.
This morning was an early start with checkout due at 6:45am - it was a little delayed but we were on the road to Heathrow at 7:30am. On arrival we bade farewell to Kevin, checked in and even managed to get all the suitcases sent to Rome without too much trouble or expense. All except Nicholas Iles', which did not arrive. We think it might be in London still. Praying to St Anthony on your case's behalf, Nick.
Our flight was delayed in boarding and once we were on we were further delayed but it was a productive flight for me. I got two sonnets written for the Sonnet Competition. They require some tweaking and I am missing one phrase, but I was pleased with the effort, as well as the effort in getting this post started.
Since arrival we have been busy. Boarded a coach which took us to our accommodation, which is a HOOT! It is a big place with several buildings housing apartments of various shapes and sizes. I am sharing mine with Eleni and her mother Christine. Well, there is a bed in the main room/dining sitting area. Odd I thought. It was supposed to be a double and twin arrangement. Christine and Eleni would logically take two of the three bunk beds - Eleni has taken the upper, which is a double. Oh well, I can sleep in the main room. But where does this funny, skinny doorway lead? Looks like a pantry. NO! It is the entry to the double bedroom, which is very well hidden. I can touch both walls at once. It is gorgeous. I will take pics.
We had dinner in a local pizzeria, three courses. Then the hardy members of the group went for what was described in our booklets as a "Tourette" of Rome by night. (Several wags have wondered if this involved involuntary swearing and tics, as in Tourette's Syndrome). We walked around 2 corners and found ourselves in The Vatican! WHEW.Magnifico!
Some of the group then headed back while the really hardy souls walked on for another couple of hours and looked at many of the Roman sites - more of this later, though, along with photos. It was just lovely to be in relatively quiet, not so bustling Rome at night.
Sorry, Dear Reader. Sleep calls. We have a free day tomorrow and I have lots to do. I'm off to see David and Margie Richardson at the Anglican Centre in the morning, before David has to fly out to London.
This hotel has free internet, so if I get some free time I will post photos.
Love to all
Thinking of those in Queensland affected by flooding. We are all thinking of you and prayers are being offered on this side of the world as well.
Cxxx

Comments

  1. So many thanks for information and for the many photos. You are there ... we are there too through the photos. So many thanks for telling us interesting tid-bits about the days ... your shopping, red bussing, eating, and vivid descriptions of the rooms. Love to David and Margie Richardson if you read this before you see them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for explaining the suicases I was getting worried as have been likened to and called many things but never a suitcase, xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd never call you a suitcase, John, or any other kind of luggage. We reserve that right for Mr Satchell!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx