Skip to main content

Science Fun, Shopping Frustration, Singing Fervently and Seeing Friends

This post is brought to you by the letters S and F

Today’s activities included a visit to the INTECH Science Centre, which is a hands-on science centre, which included a visit to the Planetarium.   Great fun was had by all.



Enrico tries to outdo Peter
He lit up all the lights


Ahoy Me Hearties!


Alice drank this


John and Nick inserting rods into something scientific that purported to show you
how long information took to get places via the Internet


Curly Pete and his Mum Wendy

The Thought Bubble Wall

Thereafter I went back to Winchester where I battled the 3 Shop to get my Dongle fixed (done) and the Post Office, where there was a massive line and then they did not have what I wanted. What did I want that was so obscure? STAMPS! I needed 15 postcard stamps and the bloke said he did not have more than three. It took some convincing to get the bloke to agree that the lady at the next desk could serve me and give me some of the required stamps, rather than insisting that I go back to the line again. So once she was free she sold me some, while the lady next to me went to my man and got what she needed. There seemed to be no coordination of service or supplies. AARGH.
It was almost a relief to get the stamps and get the *heck* out of there to go to Evensong at Winchester. Paid homage to Jane Austen and to the Diver who helped to shore up the East end and stop it from sinking.
This evening we sang in Winchester Cathedral. The menu included the “usual” – Hunt responses and the psalm, this time Psalm 23. In addition we did our last performance of Jackson in G for the tour and the first Chilcott The Shepherd’s Carol. The Chilcott was particularly lovely tonight. The people of Winchester were very welcoming.


The Diver Memorial



Jane Austen




Stuart Ekberg and Katie (sorry I don’t remember her other name) came to Evensong tonight and came back to the hotel for a drink. Dinner was a lovely buffet. Funniest dinner table was the one where Jenny Wilson and Nicholas Iles were surrounded by the wee Trebles. Then the littlies left and Jenny and Nick had a quiet cuppa. See photos for evidence.


Anna, the Unflappable Tour Leader and Glen, the Director of Fun




Tomorrow we have the long trek (3 hours) to Canterbury, then 3 hours back at night, but in between there is time to explore and Evensong.
Love to all.

Cxxx

Comments

  1. Love those photos. Glad to see photos of some of the accompanying adults having a good time. Continue to have a good time and sing well at all the strange hours when you sing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx