Skip to main content

That’s a wrap for Tour 2023-24

 Dear Reader

This will be the final post for the tour part of my trip, as I report on the day off in London, then the Final Service and the Celebration Dinner at New College, Oxford.

Here are a couple of London photos. 







Once again for New College I am relying on others as I was not at either function. The abundance of caution meant I did not attend. When it was apparent I would not be attending I bumped out and went to stay with my cousin, Sarah and her husband Mark, which was always the plan, just not so soon. My brother Rick, his wife Vicki and their daughters Jacqui and Tash arrived from their time in Sweden, so it was nice to be able to be with family, and to see people again, other than those kind colleagues dropping supplies at my door. 

I caught a series of trains to Henley-on-Thames. The nice Customer Assistance person suggested I waited in the warm waiting room but after five days in warm rooms all I wanted was fresh air. So I enjoyed the cold and some time without a mask. 

Meanwhile, our Choir joined the New College Choir to sing Hunt Responses, Jackson in G Canticles and Balfour Gardiner’s Evening Hymn. I was particularly sorry to miss the amazing Alto entry on the Amen in the Anthem. I don’t know what the psalm was or the postlude. 



I think this might be Windsor, but it is very cute so I am including it here.

Here are some photos from the dinner. It was lovely to see Annabel was able to catch up with Robert Quinney, their DoM, who was her billet from King’s College Cambridge many years ago. And Charlie Wells was able to catch up with his billet Marcus, from a later tour in 2014. Marcus studies at Oxford, and played the organ for the Balfour Gardiner. 






This is the gift I was to receive - I’ll get them when I return to Australia. Apparently a number of choristers received ducks and the owl glasses case is to signify my wise eyes watching over the Choir. 


I will finish with a view from my current location - Sarah and Mark are playing golf on the course opposite the house but I cannot see them from here. 




It is one of those lovely, clear, sunny, wintry days in England, which I love so much. I am blessed to be able to be back outside to see it again. 

I will likely continue this blog intermittently until I go home, but this will be to record the rest of the holiday for myself. So, Dear Reader, thanks for joining me and for the lovely feedback you have provided here and on Facebook. 

Notwithstanding my early departure from singing duties and the frustrations associated with Covid, I am grateful for the opportunities I had on this tour. I have seen the Trebles grow in confidence, got to know our colleagues and families much better and very much appreciated the kind thoughts of many when I became ill. 

I wish those returning home today Godspeed and a safe journey. For those travelling elsewhere before returning my wish is for an enriching and enjoyable adventure. 

Cxx







Comments

  1. Thoroughly enjoyed your journal and photos.😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be good to welcome the Choir back on February 4th to begin the New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the Blog and pictures Chrissie. Hoping Covid has finally left you xx Ann

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx