Skip to main content

Unexpected gifts

 Dear Reader

I want to tell you about two unexpected gifts. 

The first was a story from one of the early Cathedral Evensongs. I won’t identify which one to preserve the protagonist’s anonymity, suffice it to say we were very much in the grips of jet lag.

Felicia, one of the choir parents, was sitting next to an older lady, probably an octogenarian, who had not been in church for decades. There had been some issue that caused this, but she felt moved to attend this service. She told Felicia she was so moved by the service, and the beautiful singing of our Choir that she felt at peace. Our service became a gift for her, but it was a precious gift for us.

This is for me why we do what we do. Not necessarily for the loud accolades we receive, although we are blessed to receive them. For me it is the opportunity to touch someone’s heart, when they most need it, to make a difference. Anthony reminded us as a Choir that we never know who is present and what impact we may have. It is for this reason we must always offer our best. 

The other gift was more personal. My late Dad, Robert Beal, better known as Bob, enrolled on Facebook so he could read the 2014-15 section of this blog. Most people join. Dad enrolled. Before he died he gave Alana Brook his set of Sigfrid Karg-Elert organ works and other organ music he thought she could use. 

She let me know that not only does she play them but she has continued his tradition of noting the dates they have been played. She sent me this photo showing his marks dating back to the 1970s at the bottom, and her notations at the top. The letters R, L and W relate to the place where she has played them, being Ripon, Lincoln and Wakefield. Dad would be so chuffed to know they are still in active use, especially by someone he loved and admired.

Thank you, Alana.


Cxx

Comments

  1. What a treasure both these stories are. I remember your dad encouraging the St Jude’s Choir, laughing a lot and playing the organ with intention, knowledge and passion. Thank you for reminding me of those memories through the story of the music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would have been good to have a heads up before i read this one out loud to mum and lost it totally- eyes so wet I couldn’t read- what a blessing and such a lovely legacy- yes Dad would be over the moon - i am sure he is listening. 💜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry that was Judy with Susan of course

      Delete
  3. And I recognise his handwriting - I have many letters preserved over the years - before computers! A precious story. Judy, it is what Andrew calls "sweaty eyeballs". Love Helen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Big One, St Paul’s

  Dear Reader Today was the Big Event of tour. St Paul’s Cathedral, London. If you are observant, you will notice my absence from the photo above, along with several of my colleagues. Sadly, this happened.  After nearly four years and six vaccinations I finally succumbed to the dreaded Covid. At the worst possible time. My multiple vax status has meant I only feel a bit rotten, like a cold, but I do feel sad to have missed the day. And to miss Windsor tomorrow. I was grateful for the considered medical advice provided by Dr Ritesh, father of one of the trebles, who also updated my supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen.  So I am relying on others for the report about this special day.  The good bits started with four of the young Lay Clerks heading to St Paul’s for singing lessons with my friend Patrick Craig, who is an Alto Lay Vicar at St Paul. In have yet to hear from Nicholas, Marco, Charlie or James, but Patrick was very complimentary about their singing. This is what he said: Such a

And now the deadline is hours away...

Dear Reader! What an amazing fortnight we have had! We have rehearsed every Saturday as well as Friday. And sung on Sundays.  We travelled to Victor Harbour to sing to a capacity congregation for Lessons and Carols. Yamba had a ball.  We have done our Christmas Rounds - Lessons and Carols, Midnight Mass and Christmas Day. Precious Lillian was privileged (and rather nervous) to bring the sweet Baby Jesus into the Cathedral at Midnight Mass. She performed her duties beautifully. Zoom in to the second picture and you can see just how wonderful she was.  And now there are bags of robes and music in my front room, ready for the 6:45am departure.  Dear Reader, Please remember us in your thoughts and/or your prayers (whatever works for you) as we prepare for this big adventure.  Off we go. Christine 💖

Safe and well in England, but…

Dear Reader Humble apologies from Gloucester, but I/we are out of words. It has been more than 48 hours since we last saw a bed.  I will provide a proper post tomorrow.  In the meantime, here is a picture or two.  Cx